Monday, October 20, 2008

Who's that Girl?

So I was just wandering around the library today...minding my own business in the section with all the musical theatre books...just pickin' them up and checkin' them out when what should I see...? A whole chapter in a book called The Broadway Musical on "Unsung and Hidden Collaborators." Naturally I turn to it in hopes of finding some treasure about my new obsession, Trude Rittman (see the last blog if the name means nothing to you). I am very hopeful because the first section in the chapter is called "Musical Arrangements: The Techne of Arranger and Orchestrator" Perfect right? Well I skimed looking for her name...nothing. Oh well let's try the index maybe I missed her. Not in the index. Ok fine I'll read the section there must be something because while skimming I found Richard Rodgers name and she was one of this only arrangers. There is lots of talk about John Glasel....John Glasel said this about being an arranger John Glasel said that...and of course he's brillant but I'm still looking for Trude. I turn the page, end of this section, we go on to conductors and musical directors...also great but not what I'm looking for. Oh! There is a picture of an orchestra rehearsal for Camelot! I love Camelot! The caption says there is Franz Allers, conductor, Robert Goulet (Robert Goulet my god Robert Goulet!) actor, Frederick Loewe comoposer. Now I'm thinking....hey....didn't Trude Rittman do the arranging for Camelot. Hmmm who is that other person sitting at the table....I look in my other book with the headshot of Rittman....there is absolutly no doubt that that is her...here in this photo. Not in the caption. No mention of her in the chapter.

So basically this just proves my point. Someone needs to save these nameless photos of women and give them their due. Fight for their presence. Show the world what we can do. And that's going to be me...if I have anything to say about it. Look out world. Here comes Becky Potter, musical theatre historian in training, and she's going to save the world! Haha!

p.s. if I were cool like Lena I would have these pictures on this blog entry but I couldn't find them on google image so I'm having my mother look them up for me at the NY public library next week when she's there... hopefully I will be able to show them then.

p.p.s. The authors of the book that neglected to say anything about Ms. Rittman are Bernard Rosenberg and Ernest Harburg. Write them angry letters.

Pins.

No comments: