Monday, September 17, 2007

That Clinking Clanking Sound

Non-Profit. The phrase exudes goodness, greenness, and everything that is right about the world. If you're out to make a profit the very center of your goal is not to help others, so it you're a non-profit, wouldn't that indicate that you are there to help? It does. It truly does. The only thing in fact that makes my heart is that all I wanted to was to work for a non-profit theatre. To create new theatre that helps people, to create at all really. But I have found precious little of that here. And I am feeling how I am burnt out more everyday. The last thing I want in this world is to have theatre make me feel tired, anxious and depressed. And no I can't blame this on the non-profit status but non-profits need more money and it's money you have to scrap, beg, and plead for. And it's making me old at twice the speed of sound. I gave to KQED last week. But isn't pledge just the same thing. I listen to Forum and Fresh Air and think, wow wouldn't it be great to work for NPR, but they are just as hard up for cash as all of us. And maybe the money isn't what's making me tired. But something is, and I don't want to be tired anymore. I want to sparkle like Barbara Harris in that dress she wears in Gorgeous. I want to find some way to express the love and passion I feel for the art of musical theatre, but is that a job? We will see folks. I don't intend for anyone to read this. But if you do thoughts are encouraged. Especially if you see the light at the end of the dark tunnel. AKA you work for a Non-Profit.
Pins.

No comments: