Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I'm Still Here

According to these post dates it's been over a year since I've posted anything. It actually perfectly lines up with when I stopped teaching musical theatre to adults and started trying to teach high schoolers. I say "trying to teach" because nearly a year and a half later I'm teaching theatre at a high school and my mind is in a very different place than when I was in school and had the liberty to do research of my own and write about Trude. (Isn't it funny how you can miss people you never knew just because you stop writing or reading about them?)

In any case it's been coming on me gradually that I might be happier if I got to write a little more. I haven't felt like I've even had time to think about writing with said career as theatre teacher. But honestly I may be coming up with just as many discoveries, just in different ways and of different things.

Teaching high school (and might I add not quite full time although it often feels like more than full time) is probably one of the most challenging things I've ever done. With the exception of AWE, I can think of nothing more difficult that convincing teenagers that you're actually teaching them important things that they will be grateful to know in the future. (It is also especially difficult when one is 5'1'') Some days there are rewarding moments and I think about how great it is, and some days I feel like they are sucking my soul out.

But now that I'm back in a show (working with my company gives me unending joy) I feel like I can take a bit of my own back. And writing is one thing I miss. So I'm gonna try to write about discoveries I make about teaching or discoveries about my work with Butterfield 8, but definitley writing about things that I love, because that makes my heart happy. Tumblr is for happy pictures and clips, but this blog is coming back as a place to write. So there.

Pins.