Monday, September 28, 2009

May I play my cross hand piece?

I just had this blinding flash.
Imagine a 12 year old sick to death of The Sound of Music but so thoroughly caught up in performing in it she actually choice to play a song from it for her piano lessons. But not a song she could find in the the easy piano book. Oh no! She wanted to play the Landler (aka the song that Maria teaches Kurt to dance until the Captain comes in and makes Maria blush). It was fun it was catchy it was in 3/4 time! So when said insane 12 year old went to her all knowing musical theatre loving piano teacher she replied "Well it's not in the book all it is is "The Lonely Goatherd" in 3/4 time and with the left hand parts changed...you can do that youself!"
Did anyone else just catch what happened? I recreated a Trude Rittman arrangment at the age of 12. Sure it wasn't as good as hers (which coincidentally she wasn't credited for in the original production but was given credit for as orginal dance arranger in the revival which Jeanine Tesori also worked on as arranger wow that was a long parenthetical). I just had this incredibly epiphany moment that I had to share. Everyday I feel closer to Trude. It's incredible.
Pins.

No comments: