Monday, September 7, 2009

Why Can't a Woman be more like a man?

So I am now immersed in Suskin's The Sound of Broadway Music and I highly recommend it (even though I am still upset about the "and a few women too" parenthetical) I'm still reading through the biographies of the 12 major orchestrators (all men of course) but I couldn't help but flip through the listing of more recent work to just check the genders of the orchestrators/arrangers who are working today. Right away I spotting Jeanine Tesori, who is responsible for a few dance arrangments (making her a great connection to Trude). I took careful note to look at The Secret Garden (since the majority of the creative team being women was a major historic point of the show). Here Jeanine is created as dance arranger which is super but the musical direction, vocal arrangement and orchestrations are all credited to men. Directly above The Secret Garden is a show that is a great weakness of mine, The Scarlet Pimpernell. Not a historic piece of art by any means but tons of fun and it had Douglas Sills so shoot me. I look up at the Orchestration credit: Kim Scharnberg. I am floored. I check all the other Wildhorn shows. All orchestration credit goes to Kim Scharnberg. Huzzah I think! What a find! 99.9% of the time Kim is going to be a women right? Well welcome when you're in the music business the percentage much change significantly. Kim Scharnberg is a man. I feel betrayed and bewildered...but unsurprised. The uncover Trude's contributions on a greater scale becomes more important everyday.
And now I'm thinking I have to talk to Ms. Tesori too...because she's awesome and a dance arranger...go her!
Pins.

No comments: