Sunday, September 6, 2009

Somebody's Gotta Do Something

So the theatre that made me the person I am today is finacially in the pits so much so that they are making a desperate plea for help. Here is my letter to the editor if anyone wants to read it:

The Willows Theatre Company is a Contra Costa County institution that deserves to be saved. Besides the statistical numbers of patrons it has served and how many awards it has won it has grown alongside our community. I have certainly grown alongside it and it has made me the person I am today. When I was eleven I made my first acting appearance with professional actors there. When I was twelve the Willows Theatre Conservatory program taught me fundamentals in acting, professionalism, and confidence that helped me succeed through middle school and high school. When I was involved in the workshop production of Mountain Days The John Muir Musical and observed the process of creating a new musical I decided that developing theatre would be my life mission. When I graduated from college my first job working in theatre came from the Willows, working for the youth program that helped me become who I am. This past summer, after my first year as a graduate student in drama, I directed the summer camp with kids who were the age I was when the Willows began to nurture not just my artistic soul, but also made me the successful, confident person I am, dedicated to giving back what I learned growing up at the Willows Theatre. Please help this theatre to continue to create dedicated passionate artists and citizens. Thank you.

No comments: